Well Ottawa, we’re almost 3 weeks into the “official” street vendor program and so far things are going great. The vendors that have opened are enjoying very good business thanks to your support and love for street food!
There has been, of course, the inevitable growing pains for most trucks and carts. Aside from the delays at the builders there are several health and safety certifications that need to be completed on each vehicle. These cannot happen overnight, so we appreciate your patience through this period. That being said there are 4 or 5 that should be ready to go around mid-June. Fingers crossed.
The city has still not put up the signs that will save the street parking spots for the vendors, so if you’re looking for a truck and they are not at their location (and you know they are open), please just take a peek around…they probably aren’t too far away.
Most vendors that operate in the downtown core will only be open during lunchtime hours Monday to Friday to serve the government/business community. On weekends and evenings you may find them at local festivals.
Here are a few more updates on vendors;
- The Red Roaster Truck will no longer be located at Argyle and O’Connor. They are hoping for approval on a new spot on Bank near Clemow.
- Royi Fruta Cart does not currently use social media or have a website (we are trying to convince them to get online). Their hours are approximately 10-3pm. 7 days a week.
- Relish Truck has left the lot at 236 Richmond Rd and will be back on the Ottawa U campus in the near future.
- Sadie’s Kitchen (crepe truck) will join the crew at 236 Richmond Rd as soon as they get the certifications complete. Look for the little bright purple trailer!
- Well known local Thai restaurant Green Papaya is about to get their new trailer delivered and will also be joining the 236 Richmond Lot.
And in the western rural region…
- We want to welcome to our site, My House in Carleton Place!! It’s a great little trailer on the corners of Highway 7 and 15. Only 15 mins from Ottawa. Menu is varied from BBQ to fresh salads and homemade salsas and sodas. Please check them out if you are out that way, or are just looking for an excuse to go for a drive one day!
- In Almonte, there is a grilled cheese truck opening. Will update as we get more information.
- In Carp, the Sweet Potato has been in operation for several years. They have more than just sweet potato fries, but be sure to get some of those as well. And try the chipotle mayo!
- Xronos Fish & Chips is a bright rainbow coloured trailer that seems to have made it’s rounds in the Ottawa area over the past couple years. It’s currently set up just off the 417 at the March Rd exit in just outside of Carp.
Be sure to check out all the vendors individual pages and social media feeds for further information and up-to-the-minute details on opening hours and daily menus.
On behalf of all the vendors, thanks for all your support!